Hohem iSteady Pro 2 Review 2021
Have you been looking for a low-cost action camera gimbal? The Hohem iSteady Pro 2, in my opinion, is your best choice for the price.
The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 is easy to set up and ready to use right out of the box. Even someone that has not used a gimbal before will be able create cinematic footage relatively easily. The key is to plan out your movements and move slowly.
The iSteady Pro 2 is splash proof (IPX4) allowing you to use this gimbal in light rain or mist. It is protected from condensation but not rated for underwater use. Use where your camera or gimbal could get wet but not submerged.
Hohem iSteady Pro 2 Gimbal Review
|Image||Details||Prime||Check Price Amazon|
|3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer for GoPro Action Camera, Splash Proof Gimbal Tripod Stick for Gopro 2018 7/6/5/4, Sony RX0, SJCAM, YI-CAM - Time-Lapse, APP Control, 12h Run time -Hohem iSteady Pro 2||Prime||Check Price on Amazon|
Adding a gimbal helps smooth out the motion. The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 is straightforward to use and has enough battery power for a full day of shooting.
Using the native stabilization built into the GoPro Hero 8 is good for quick short clips that are unplanned. Using a gimbal is much better.
GoPro Hero6/5/4/3+/3, for YI CAM, for SJCAM, for AEE, and other action cameras of similar sizes
Max tilting range of 360°, max rolling range of 360°, max panning range of 640°
What's in the Box?
The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 comes in a well-padded foam zippered case that fits well in a backpack. There is no need to remove the camera from the gimbal when storing it in the carrying case.
- 1 Hohem iSteady Pro 2 Gimbal
- 1 Mini Tripod
- 1 Micro USB Cable (for charging gimbal)
- 2 Charging cable (for charging action cam)
- 1 Carrying Case
- 1 User Manual (English)
The iSteady Pro 2 has 4 modes. When you turn on the iSteady Pro 2 gimbal it will begin in Pan Follow mode.
Changing between modes can be done is 2 ways. One is by clicking the mode button on the gimbal and the second is by using the iSteady Mobile+ App. The led light on the gimbal will blink to let you know which mode you are in.
- Pan Follow Mode (1 short blink): Tilt axis, and the roll axis will be locked. Ensuring the camera stays level horizontally. Panning left and right, the gimbal makes sure the camera smoothly follows your motion. This is the default mode when you turn on the gimbal.
- Pan & Tilt Mode (2 short blinks): Roll axis is locked. The camera will smoothly follow left/right movements and up/down movements. The camera will remain horizontal.
- All Lock Mode (3 short blinks): All axises are locked in place. This ensures that the camera continues to point in the same direction.
- All Follow Mode (1 long blink): The camera will follow your movement along all three axes.
The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 has 2-18650 lithium batteries (1800mAh) for a total of 3600mAh, more than enough power for 12 hours of continuous use.
There are 4 led lights on the side of the gimbal that can be activated by clicking the on/off button to let you know the state of charge.
There are three USB ports on the gimbal.
The micro B USB (DC-IN) port is for charging your gimbal. This can be done via a wall outlet or USB power bank.
The USB Type A port (DC-OUT) allows your gimbal to act as a USB power bank and can charge any USB supported device.
The USB mini B port located on the gimbal arm for charging your action camera. There are two adapter cables included (USB micro-B and USB-C).
- Mini B - Charging Port
- Type A - Use your gimbal as a power bank
- Micro B - Charge action cameras while using the gimbal
Pressing the trigger button puts the gimbal in sport mode for a faster response to your movements. Double-clicking the trigger button re-centers the gimbal back to the starting point.
The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 is compatible with most action cameras. This includes the DJI OSMO Action, GoPro Hero 7/6/5/4/3, YI, SJCAM, SONY RX0, and other action cameras with similar size and weight.
There are 2 - 1/4" mounts that allow for the use of a tripod or mounting of a mic, external light source, or your smartphone.
iSteady Mobile+ Smartphone App
Both the Android and iOS versions are quite similar. You can control the gimbal, set motion lapse, change modes, settings, and upgrade the firmware.
You can remotely control the iSteady Pro 2 gimbal via most smartphones. This is a great feature when using your gimbal on a tripod.
You can re-center or change modes here. Motion lapse allows you to set waypoints and duration of clip right from your phone. You can also see the state of charge remaining of the gimbal.
The settings button allows you to make changes to how your gimbal will respond—mostly used by advanced users. You can restore it to the original by clicking the "restore" button at the top.
If your gimbal starts to become erratic, you can use the calibrate button to resolve the issue. I have not required to re-calibrate my gimbal yet. Click the 'calibrate' button and follow the instructions.
Firmware Upgrade Instructions
- Power off gimbal
- Long press 'mode' and 'power' button until Bluetooth light and mode light are on, then release the buttons, and the gimbal will enter upgrade mode.
- Re-connect Bluetooth connection in APP. Tap 'More'->'Firmware Version'->'Upgrade'->'Confirm' to start upgrading.
- During the upgrade process, you will get information on the percentage completed. The green 'mode' button will blink during the upgrade. You will be notified once the upgrade has completed.
Overall the Hohem iSteady Pro 2 is an excellent low-cost action camera gimbal.
For the beginner, you can start using it directly out of the box. Advanced users can use the Hohem Mobile+ App to make adjustments that more expensive units don't have.
In my testing for the past two months, I've had no issues or had to re-calibrate the gimbal.