The GoPro HERO4 Black and GoPro HERO4 SILVER editions can create ultra-high definition video. The Black edition is capable of up to 4K at 30fps and 2.7K at 60fps and 1080p at 120fps.
Even the slightly less expensive Silver edition can capture 1080p footage at 60fps and 720p footage at 120fps. That’s going to make for some incredible video footage.
GoPro Hero4 cameras don’t come with a memory card as standard, so unless you buy a bundle pack that includes one so you’ll need to pick one up separately. But not every card will work well in the GoPro HERO4 Black and Silver editions.
If you try to use a memory card that’s not fast enough, you’re going to run into trouble. The recordings might stop prematurely, or it might just lock up completely. If you find either of those things happening, a first step in troubleshooting is to check that it’s not your memory card. Below are the Top 4 GoPro Hero4 microSD cards.
Top 4 GoPro Hero4 microSD cards
Samsung Pro Plus UHS-I 128GB
- UHS 3 / Class 10
- Max. Read Speed: 95 MB/s
- Max. Write Speed: 90 MB/s
- 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video
New microSD Card Tips
- Before using a new microSD card be sure to format the memory card in the GoPro camera. It’s a safer option to format in your camera instead of your computer to help prevent problems.
- Reformat in the camera fairly regularly as a way to prepare the card for use. Do it immediately after downloading all my footage/photos from the card to my computer so that it’s ready to go for next time. You can find the reformat function under Settings > Delete All.
- Buy from a reputable retailer. There are a lot of counterfeit memory cards out there being peddled by less-reputable dealers.
- If you’re going with SanDisk, I don’t recommend their “Ultra” or “Ultra Plus” range of cards for GoPro HERO3 or GoPro HERO4 cameras. Despite being Class 10, many users have reported issues with the recording stopping prematurely (a problem I ran into myself).
- Don’t use the memory card for long-term storage. Download it to a computer or similar as soon as possible and be sure to make a backup. GoPro Hero4 microSD